© 2018 Stanstead Abbotts & St. Margarets Neighbourhood Planning (incl. The Folly). All rights reserved.

Village Conservation Walk: Cappell Lane

Starting from the village gates on Cappell Lane and walking towards the Red Lion roundabout.

A small road runs from Cappell Lane left towards Easneye College; to the north there is evidence of a hollow way that runs parallel to the lane. The Easneye Gate Lodge consists of 2 houses and stands at the end of the lane and is a Grade II listed building designed by Alfred Waterhouse (who also designed St Andrew's church).ervation Area Plan for protection.

The Wilberforce Cottages can be seen to the left of Cappell Lane. These were built in 1933 by John Henry Buxton for retired workers from the Buxton Estate [1}. The cottages are noted in the Conservation Area Plan as being 'unlisted buildings protected from demolition' the plan also notes that further protection of selected features may be appropriate.

The Edward VII letter box:


This elaborate letter box has a tiled roof and wooden detailing. The Conservation Area plan asks for local knowledge about this 'curious and distinctive' feature.

The open field opposite the cottages was once a village football field and is now included in the Conservation Area Plan as being an Area of Archaeological Significance.

129-131 Cappell Lane: Set back slightly from the road these grade II listed buildings date back to the 17th century or earlier. They are possibly an open hall building and could date back to the 13th century.

The Salmon Public House occupied a site on the roadside in front of the current garages.

Halving Cottages is a block of three cottages built in 1869 by the Buxtons, probably designed by Arthur Waterhouse. Listed as Grade II buildings one bears a large armorial terracotta plaque with the motto 'Do it with thy might'.

To the rear of these cottages there is an 18th century wall that is likely to be from the original Halving Farm.


110 Cappell Lane: This Grade II listed building was originally 2 very small cottages and dates from the 1790s. One cottage had an entrance at the front, the other at the back.

98-104 Cappell Lane: Warrax Cottages: These 2 story dwellings date from 1884. The conservation Area Plan states that further protected for selected features may be appropriate.

90 Cappell Lane: Set back from the road this small cottage seems to been ignored for both listing and in the Conservation Area Plan. The Heritage Group believes that this building merits consideration for at least protection from demolition.

82-84 Cappell Lane: Though unlisted 'The Retreat' is likely to be a Tudor Cottage renovated in 'mock-Tudor' style in Victorian times.

Warrax House is a large building built in Victorian Gothic style.  Conservation Plan officers were unable to visit to make a full assessment of the property

 


The vista towards the village from this point is listed in the Conservation Area Plan for protection.
 

The field immediately to the right of the vista also seems to show evidence of a track-way leading west.

The fields on this side of the road from Halving Cottages to St Andrews Church contain other features including undated field systems, three causeways and possible furnace processing that seem to pre-date the Mill Stream.


Hill House: Set back from Cappell Lane is a Grade II listed building dating from circa 1800 with additions dating from 1900. The stable block, also dated from circa 1800 is also Grade II listed.

The Parish Church of St Andrew 

The parish church is listed as Grade II* and was built in 1882 by Thomas Fowell Buxton and designed by Alfred Waterhouse. The railings, gates and drinking fountain are all included in the listing.

The front vista of the church is listed as protected in the Conservation Area Plan.

The  War Memorial gains protection by being in the grounds of the listed building.

 

To the north of St Andrews a Roman burial was found.

The  War Memorial gains protection by being in the grounds of the listed building.

 

To the north of St Andrews a Roman burial was found.

The Conservation Area plan suggests that the gaps in the hedge to the allotments opposite the church detract from the area. This is still the case.

39, 41 and 43 Cappell Lane are Grade II listed buildings dating from the early 19th century.

Manor Cottages, 24-26 Cappell Lane: These cottages though they appear to be early 20th Century have an enigmatic plaque which reads 'Manor Cottages 1648 Restored 1917 JRB'. The Conservation Area Plan suggests that further protection may be appropriate.

21 Cappell Lane: The Conservation Area Plan states that 'An article 4 Direction' may be appropriate to protect certain features.

13,15 and 17 Cappell Lane: Dated 1812 these Grade II listed buildings began has 4 cottages; the then became the Prince of Wales public house and are now two houses.

The area at the Junction with Abbotts Way has been identified as the likely site of the market area for the Anglo-Saxon settlement.

A yew tree stands in a garden just north of the site.

The houses opposite the yew tree may merit further investigation as they may have 19th century facades covering older buildings dating to as early as the 17th century.

8-18 Middleton Villas: Early 20th century cottages that the Conservation Area Plan says may be appropriate for further protection for selected features.

The Clock House at the end of Cappell Lane is a Grade II* listed building. It was built circa 1636 by Sir Edward Baish as a school house with master's accommodation. It was also used for Sunday Services and the bell is said to date from 1704. The building is the clear focus at the end of the village.

The early wall adjacent to the Clock House has been recently restored and still contains the arch for a school entrance that is thought to be the girls entrance to the school.
 

Opposite the Clock House is an Electrical Sub-Station surrounded by a wooden clap board fence which the Conservation Area Plan notes as detracting from the quality of the area. The sub-station area now occupies a much smaller area of the site and there is opportunity to open and enhance part of the area adjacent to the Red Lion.

[1] Stanstead Abbotts and the Easneye Connection Ron Davies: See www.salhs.org.uk/folders/connection/Connection.pdf

National & Local Policies:​​

This document is aimed at residents and offers a background summary to two of the key documents that govern development of Housing and Heritage (the Conservation Area Plan and the National Policy Planning Framework). Local and National Policies information

Village Conservation Walk: Roydon Road

Starting from the Red Lion Roundabout to the top of Cat Hill

2 and 4 Roydon Road: Grade II

These two semi-detached houses appear

on the 1840 Tithe map but were re-fronted later

in the 19th century.

6 Roydon Road: Grade II

This is possibly a timber framed  building that was

re-cased in the early 19th century with end walls

dating to the late 19th century.

8 Roydon Road, though unlisted is noted in the Conservation Area plan for the quality of its brick detailing and architectural quality and suggests that the building could be subject to protection for selected features.

Proposed Protected Vista 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

One of the most characteristic views in the village is from the Roydon Road towards the Red Lion Pub

The Mill: Grade II (rear view shown)

This 4 storey building, now workshops, was once

the site of a water driven Corn Mill. It was rebuilt in

1881 after a fire and converted to steam in 1891. This

prominent building and the junction of the High Street

and Roydon Road is one of the suggested sites for

the lost mill mentioned in the Domesday book.

Two further sites are listed in the Maltings:

New House Malting and No 3 Malting: Grade II

Late 18th or early 19th century buildings with timber

beams and cast iron columns inside.

Brown Malting: Grade II

This decorative industrial malting is 3 storeys with attic and dates from 1896. As with the New House it has internal timbers with iron columns. It also features an unusual conical kiln possibly built by workers from Staffordshire.

 

The Conservation Area Plan also notes as important the Old Bakehouse on this site. This small weather boarded structure may date to the late 18th century. The plan also makes note of the 'elegant' decorative metal railings in front of the Corn Mill and adjacent to the Mill Stream.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gazebo on the Mill Stream at Bachelors Hall: Grade II

 

This gazebo dates to the late 18th century (with some minor alterations in the 19th century) and is built over a brick channel. Just opposite the Gazebo is visible a fine case iron bridge (unlisted) dated 1863

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Protected View: Roydon Road

The first protected view on this road looks back towards the Mill from just beyond Abbotts Rise

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parish Hall (Unlisted)

The Conservation Area Plan lists this building as having

features such as the front porch and selected widows as

worthy of protection through existing planning control.

Both the hall and adjacent school are also listed in the plan

being worthy of protection from demolition.

 

The plan also cites the drinking fountain close to the Parish Hall as a

interesting feature that would merit from the date (1884)

being re-inscribed and as a potential candidate for listing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Abbotts House Grade II

One of the most historic and captivating buildings in the Neighbourhood Planning area, the Abbotts House dates from around 1600 and incorporates the north wing of a medieval house dating to a century before. Though 'Gothicised' in the 19th century it still retains much of its open hall features.

Brick Wall to Thele House:

On the opposite side of the road to the Abbotts House stands a large brick wall that is noted in the Conservation Area Plan. It has a stone inset with the word 'Thele' and probably relates to the demolished Thele House (once Easneye Lodge). There was once a second post with a matching inscription that was either 'Farm' or 'House'. Both this wall and the wall from the other side of Abbotts Rise running to the Paris Hall are noted as being of visual and historic interest.

 

Further careful dating of both these features would be desirable.

 

There is also some suggestion of an ancient defended area covering Thele Estate giving rise to the possibility that houses on the high ground along Roydon Road may be built on defense bank revetments.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

16, 18 and 20 Roydon Road: Grade II

These three buildings were once a single timber framed building with two crosswings dating to the 15th century that was, like many of our older buildings, re-fronted and divided in the 19th century. The projection on number 20 may be a overhanging upper floor (jettied) that was underbuilt.

32-34 Roydon Road

Noted in the Conservation Area Plan as attractive due to their repeating historical architectural detailing and therefore being important to the street scene.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

41-45 Roydon Road are unlisted, however the Conservation Area Plan notes that these tall redbrick buildings, dating from the 19th/early 20th centuries have a number of fine details that may be appropriate for protection.

49, 51 and 53 Roydon Road Grade II

Once a single house, this building, now divided into three homes, that could be as early as 16th century.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Colne Cottages Grade II

These 4 houses were once a single house that dates from the early 18th century. They were altered in the 19th century

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Holmewood Cottages Grade II

This row of 4 cottages, set away from the road, dates from the 18th century and was remodelled in the early 19th.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

54 Roydon Road Grade II

This house is known as the Vicarage and dates to the late 18th century,

with a rear extension dating to around 1800.

The facade may conceal a timber framed building.

 

 

 

69-71 Roydon Road: Mesolithic Site

An emergency excavation was made by the

East Herts Archaeological Society and Hertford

Museum at short notice in 1970 on a Mesolithic site

of considerable importance revealed in the

excavation for a private swimming pool. Some 1300

flints, including flakes, cores, burins and, associated with a number of bones and a possible

wooden platform were excavated. The site was occupied ca.6000 BC, (dated on typological grounds),

on the gravel bank of a river. It consisted of a hollow with a possible windbreak on the North and East sides.

73 Roydon Road: Unlisted building

This 20th century house has a pleasing but simple symmetry.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Protected View:

The Conservation Area Plan shows a protected view up Cat Hill from the Junction with Roydon Road. This view is slightly degraded by the siting of a road safety sign warning of the continued bend.

 

The area to the right of the road was once a village playing field and old gates that date back to at least the 19th Century are still visible at the corner of Netherfield Lane.

 

During the First World War there was an aerodrome in the Netherfield Lane area, however the exact site has not been determined.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Baesh Almshouses Grade II*

Built for Sir Edward Baesh in 1653, this is a single storey row of 6 cottages still run by the Baesh Trust.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

91 and 93 Roydon Road Grade II

Built in the 18th century or earlier these 2 houses were once a single house that was raised to two stories and extended in the 19th century. These fine buildings frame beautifully the exit from Hunsdon Road.

  

Pump to the front of 21 Hunsdon Road

A hidden feature just off the Hunsden Road is an early 19th Century water pump. The handle is now missing and earlier maps make no reference to this feature. The Conservation Area Plan suggests this may have been moved from another site.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fern Cottage Woodside Grade II

Fern Cottage was once a single house built in the 18th

Century and sub-divided in the late 19th century.

  

Netherfield Cottages Grade II

Early 19th century block of three mock gothic black

and white half timbered houses

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Potential View for Protection

As the view up towards Cat Hill is protected, there is a case for considering the view down the Hill from the top of Cat Hill.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gatescreen Piers (Coach House)

Grade II Arts and Crafts style ornamental wrought iron gates set between

two stone piers. The gate posts originally terminated with standards

in the form of braziers, though these are much degraded.

 

This site, now divided contains three further listed buildings:

 

 

 

 

 

Netherfield House Grade II

A large house built around 1860 for Sir Charles Booth

(1806-96). The building boasts a grand Tuscan portico

and original outbuildings.

 

The Coach House Grade II

The former stables to Netherfield House.

 

Ornamental Dairy Grade II

Italianate building contemporary to Netherfield House

 

 

 

 

 

Highfield House

This beautiful unlisted building is set back from the road and screened by trees; it has a fine Greek style portico. The Conservation Area Plan states that this building may be worthy of further protection.

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now